Sunday, September 19, 2010

First post and a definition of 'reflection'

I have been considering doing a blog for a while, though never did. Why?  Well, I didn't think anyone would be interested. Then this afternoon, I decided to go ahead and set up a blog anyway. I don't care if anyone reads this blog or not. It isn't for anyone but myself! My life is not interesting or exciting by any means. However, it is MY life, and I live the way I choose to. I have my own opinions and thoughts that many may agree with and many probably won't agree with. That is THEIR prerogative. I don't go around telling other people what to think or believe, and expect the same courtesy to be shown to me in return.

I looked up the definition of the word 'Reflection'   In my opinion, 'Reflection' is an excellent choice for a blog title! 


Read the definitions if you want to!  
re·flec·tion
[ri-flek-shuhn]


–noun
1.
the act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.
2.
an image; representation; counterpart.
3.
a fixing of the thoughts on something; careful consideration.
4.
a thought occurring in consideration or meditation.
5.
an unfavorable remark or observation.
6.
the casting of some imputation or reproach.
7.
Physics, Optics .
a.
the return of light, heat, sound, etc., after striking asurface.
b.
something so reflected, as heat or esp. light.
8.
Mathematics .
a.
(in a plane) the replacement of each point on one side ofa line by the point symmetrically placed on the other sideof the line.
b.
(in space) the replacement of each point on one side ofa plane by the symmetric point on the other side of theplane.
9.
Anatomy the bending or folding back of a part upon itself.



3.  meditation, rumination, deliberation, cogitation, study, thinking.5.  imputation, aspersion, reproach, criticism. 

Word Origin & History

reflection 
late 14c., in reference to surfaces, from L.L. reflexionem  (nom.reflexio "a reflection," lit. "a bending back," from L. reflex-,  pp.stem of reflectere from re-  "back" + flectere  "to bend." Meaning"remark made after turning back one's thought on some subject" isfrom 1650s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
reflection  re·flec·tion (rĭ-flěk'shən) 
n.
  1.  The act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.
  2.  Something, such as light, radiant heat, sound, or an image,that is reflected.
  3.  The folding of a membrane from the wall of a cavity over anorgan and back to the wall.
  4.  The folds so made.
  5.  Mental concentration; careful consideration.
  6.  A thought or an opinion resulting from such consideration.




No comments:

Post a Comment